Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ethics Paper

    So this post is going to be school related, so sorry ha ha. I have a position paper due in ethics class in may and I want to get a head start on it because I'm not very good at academic righting.  I think I'm pretty good at coming up with a thesis and making up the body of the paper but when I right from an academic stance there seems to be something lacking.  I have a fairly decent idea about what I am going to right about too, immigration.
     This is not really a research paper for immigration, it's a research paper of the ethics of immigration laws and actions towards illegal immigrants.  or that's how I see it in my head. I just recently saw the documentary on Netflix Which Way Home directed by Rebecca Cammisa.  In this documentary she finds and follows a group of Honduran boys between the ages of 13-17 traveling the Mexican railroad system to get to American.  I found this so intriguing because when many of us think of illegal immigrants we think of 30-40 Mexican men coming to America to take our jobs so they can send fat checks to their families that live decent life's in Mexico.  This is not always the case as the documentary points out. here's a link for that documentary if your interested http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Which-Way-Home/70117031
     I think the thesis of my paper could center around a question of turning illegal immigrant children (some with no families to go home to, some where there parents are already in the U.S.) out of our country and back to their country, homeless or not. I think this would be an intriguing topic to explore the ethics of our country, I know I could already use some of the philosophers that we have covered in class. Kant of course and maybe a few utilitarian philosophers. I might even be able to integrate some Hallie into the paper.
     What do you think? if you find yourself reading this feel free to give me some insight on what the basis of my paper should be. Its still open for discussion. Thank you =)

1 comment:

  1. Right now there's legislation in our state to try to give undocumented immigrants some alternatives to living outside the system. For example, giving them work permits or ID cards. I think that is probably going to be a much better policy going forward. Undocumented people are here, and it's more useful and practical in the long run to assimilate them rather than reject them.

    There's also the question of the naturalized children of illegal immigrants. Or even undocumented children, really. Do we really want kids growing up without education and outside the system? That seems risky, and I don't see how it could produce anything good.

    You should do some research on the legislation that has passed recently, and find out what the pros and cons are. Dead philosophers are probably OK to include in the paper, but I think it would be more interesting to use our actual legal system as a basis.

    ReplyDelete

INFP - "Questor". High capacity for caring. Emotional face to the world. High sense of honor derived from internal values. 4.4% of total population.
Personality Test by SimilarMinds.com